City Square Residence
Welcome to City Square Residence forums.
Please show your support for us by registering and participating in the discussions.
If you don't care, who will?

Please read the terms of use after registering.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

City Square Residence
Welcome to City Square Residence forums.
Please show your support for us by registering and participating in the discussions.
If you don't care, who will?

Please read the terms of use after registering.
City Square Residence
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Need a 2nd hand bicycle
Subrenting rooms EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 5:56 pm by stanlim2

» Ochin Tapas Bistro now open for lunch
Subrenting rooms EmptySun May 25, 2014 10:37 pm by attard

» Great place to chill out few minutes from CSR
Subrenting rooms EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:48 pm by attard

» More loungers and Chairs needed by the pool
Subrenting rooms EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:23 pm by csrssr

» Noisy Neighbours
Subrenting rooms EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:20 pm by csrssr

Similar topics
    Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Subrenting rooms

+3
    hondaker
    limyok
    PimBeers
    7 posters

Go down

Subrenting rooms Empty Subrenting rooms

Post  PimBeers Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 pm

I am not sure whether this topic has already been addressed, I had a quick view on the forum and didn't see it yet. I heard from an acquaintance who was looking for a place to stay in Singapore, that she was offered a room in our building. Upon checking it out she found an apartment that was slightly modified, which contained 4 rooms in which a total of 8 people were supposed to stay. I have not verified this, but I trust her.

I am wondering whether there are any rules to this kind of subrenting of apartments at city square residences. Is it legal to have so many different people staying at one apartment?

I have the suspicion that if it is true that maybe several apartments are occupied with large groups of people, this might lead to various problems, since these people might feel less responsible for our compound as an owner or sole occupant would do.

It has already happened to me that in block 6 I found youngsters hanging around the door without being able to go in, a group of youngsters going do in the elevator carrying a bottle of liquor, youngsters going from one floor to another. All can have innocent explanation, but at times it feels more like I am living in a student house than a regular residential condo.

Any thoughts on this?

PimBeers

Back to top Go down

Subrenting rooms Empty Re: Subrenting rooms

Post  limyok Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:49 pm

URA will investigate into any apartment that is illegally partitioned up and sublet as dorms. SCDF also will take action if it poses a threat to fire safety. I urge all residents that have sufficient grounds to suspect any unit doing this to report it to the MA or to CDL directly. Please also ensure that you follow up with them so that investigations are actually carried out. All we need is one successful case of prosecution to stop the others. We need to take action to protect our home from unscrupulous non-resident owners who disregard the feelings of those who actually live here.

limyok

Back to top Go down

Post  hondaker Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:11 am

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/viewtopic.php?t=275031&sid=48d867d2171a3b314262a08fe4ff10d4

some news on illegal subletting of apartments

hondaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Geronimo Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:55 pm

It is illegal to use the apartments as service apartments or hotels. I have recommended that all official tenants (base on tenancy) and residents be issued a Resident Card with Photo. This will prevent all unauthorised occupiers hanging arround the condo, unless they have legitimate businesses. This system is highly effective at a previous condo which I had lived. Hope the residents vote for this when our own MC is formed.

Geronimo.

Geronimo

Back to top Go down

Post  ceewye Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm

There have been talks to implement a photo ID card or a biometric system to increase security.

However, this can only be done after the conclusion of the AGM.

I have spoken to the MA today and found out that URA can only write letters of warning to the owners of the "affected" units. Obviously, this wouldn't be useful at all.

This situation is apparently very prolific at Elizabeth Towers and the MC there are at a loss of what to do.

I think that we can first inconvenience the "short-term" stayers by implementing a stringent security check which may dissuade them from coming back, any other plans will have to be tought up of at a later date...
    ceewye
    ceewye
    Admin

https://ctsq.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ckor Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:47 pm

This is an interesting article on Asia One.

Condo hires PIs to spy on residents

THE management committee (MC) of Elizabeth Towers, a condominium near Orchard Road, has resorted to spying on its residents.

It hopes this can weed out owners or master tenants who are illegally partitioning their apartments to create more bedrooms for subletting.

Read more from the link:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/The%2BNew%2BPaper/Story/A1Story20091021-174971.html

ckor

Back to top Go down

Post  nav14 Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:26 am

ceewye wrote:There have been talks to implement a photo ID card or a biometric system to increase security.

However, this can only be done after the conclusion of the AGM.

I have spoken to the MA today and found out that URA can only write letters of warning to the owners of the "affected" units. Obviously, this wouldn't be useful at all.

This situation is apparently very prolific at Elizabeth Towers and the MC there are at a loss of what to do.

I think that we can first inconvenience the "short-term" stayers by implementing a stringent security check which may dissuade them from coming back, any other plans will have to be tought up of at a later date...

URA should have limited resources to go and prosecute or take action against everyone but action can definitely be taken beyond just sending warning letters. MA may not have pushed them enough and will just do the minimum to make complainants happy. Once the MC is set up, the MC should get the MA to be more aggressive. May have to keep pestering URA inclding sending letters to the top instead of just the middle management. May have to go through the MP even.

Photo ID or biometric system only useful for those staying there long term and in ensuring these people do not use the facilities but what about visitors or friends coming over. These people paying/treating it as hotel stay will be told to say they are visitors. And visitors or friends can still use the pool.

Maybe come out with bye-laws that units suspected of being used for short term stay will require their owners to be present at the guard house personally before these "visitors" are allowed in or visitors who admit they are paying for their short term stay while being questioned by the guards will not be allowed entry. Make it inconveneint for the owner and visitors. Not easy to implement such bye-laws and implementation could be tricky but worth exploring

nav14

Back to top Go down

Post  PimBeers Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:51 am

Maybe a bit off topic, but I have the idea the guards are making it easy for themselves by forcing everyone to go through the locked gate when entering the compound. It happens regularly to me that someone is just waiting to get in and goes after me when I unlock the gate. What am I supposed to do in this kind of situation, confront the person myself, or alert the guards? The guards could be more on top of the situation, let everyone show a card.

I have a bit doubt about some of the suggestions done above. I would actually feel uncomfortable with confronting some foreigners staying for a short period at our place. They might not be aware of the illegal situation. There should be ways to find out which apartments are renting out rooms as a hotel and directly confront the owner.

More than the short stay I am worried about the apartments in which many people are staying (for a longer time). Seeing the average age I have the idea that a number of apartments are being let out as student rooms. This type of situation will cause a lot more problems (such as noise, mess, over usage of facilities). I have no problem if such persons are confronted by their illegal behavior, as they are staying in Singapore for a longer time and should be aware about rules and regulations.

PimBeers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down